- The 10 Best Ferret Cages of 2020 (Reviews)
- 1. Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Ferret Cage
- 2. Midwest Ferret Nation Double Unit Cage
- 3. MCage 3 Levels Ferret Cage
- 4. Living World Deluxe Ferret Habitat
- 5. Kaytee Multi-Level Ferret Cage
- 6. Yaheetech Metal Cage for Ferrets
- 7. MCage Medium 3 Levels Ferret Cage
- 8. Go2buy Metal 3 Doors Cage for Ferrets
- 9. ZENY Ferret Cage 4 Levels
- 10. Yaheetech Extra Large Wrought Iron Cage for Ferrets
- Buyers Guide
We choose the best ferret cages after researching for 40+ hours and trying out more than 30 products that are durable as well as safe for your pet.
Ferrets being very similar to cats and dogs are gaining popularity as pets. They are quiet, easy to hold and have very low maintenance, which is the biggest plus. They do not require too much attention as they sleep for about 16 hours a day.
Hence, those with long working hours can stay completely relaxed with ferrets as their furry friends. However, these pets have to be placed in a cage for safety purposes. If you are a ferret owner looking to buy a cage for him, then read on to find your favorite one.
The 10 Best Ferret Cages of 2020 (Reviews)
- Double Story Unit
- 4 locking wheel casters
- Maximum accessibility
- Removable shelves
If finding the right cage for your ferret has become a headache then end your search here. We have mentioned below the reviews of 10 best ferret cages to help you choose your preferred one.
1. Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Ferret Cage
Prevue Hyndrex’s Feisty Ferret Home can accommodate even the most active ferret by giving him enough space to play around. The cage is spacious and includes shelves, ramps, and a hammock. The features are quite sufficient to keep your ferret engaged in playing activities.
You can access the ferret easily through two big doors provided. The platform grille and the debris tray are both removable for ease of cleaning.
Moreover, the stand with caster legs allows you to move the cage anywhere in the house. The shelf in the bottom lets you store your ferret’s food, toys, water or other important items.
- Brand: Prevue Hendryx
- Dimensions: 31″ length, 20″ wide, and 41-1/2″ high (54″ height with stand)
- Wire Spacing: 7/8 inches wire spacing
- Material: Wrought Iron
- Color: Black Hammertone
- Large doors help you approach your pet easily also allowing you to place or pick up the food bowls.
- The cage is spacious with two levels
- Movable to any room with the help of casters
- Assembling may require some extra effort and patience.
Note: It is recommended to wash the cage, tray, and grill regularly for hygiene purposes. Do not dry the materials under the sun or it may warp.
Read More: The Best Ferret Foods
2. Midwest Ferret Nation Double Unit Cage
The Ferret Nation Double Unit from Midwest contains ramps with covers (soft on your ferret’s feet), two shelves for resting, and base pans. The overall unit with full-width doors is easy for both cleaning and feeding.
The cage gives a lot of play area while the shelves and pans prevent the ferret from dangerous falling. The door facilitates a dual-locking system to secure the pet. It involves additional features like a removable debris tray and points for attaching hammocks or toys.
- Brand: Midwest
- Dimensions: 36″L x 25″W x 62.5″H
- Material: Wrought Iron
- Color: Quartz Hammertone Finish
- Style: Double Story
- Door Lock: Dual Locking
- Double doors of full width for easy access
- The shelves are removable and adjustable
- Locking wheel casters for safety
- 1 Years Manufacturer’s Warranty
- A few customers have found that assembling is a bit difficult.
Note: Follow the instructions properly while assembling.
3. MCage 3 Levels Ferret Cage
The MCage 3 Levels cage is big but not enough to place more than one ferret. It is easy to use and clean. The bottom tray slides out for cleaning making the task easier. Provided with two front doors for easy access to your pet and food bowls.
The ramps and shelves are all wire made. It is easy to wash or wipe clean all the accessories in the cage. Available in two colors black and white, coated with an animal safe epoxy finish. The cage is also foldable for ease while traveling.
- Brand: MCage
- Dimensions: 24″L x 16″W x 24″H
- Wire Spacing: 3/8 inches wire spacing
- Material: Wrought Iron
- Color: Black, White
- Foldable and portable, good while traveling
- Big enough for one ferret
- Epoxy coated finish that is safe for animals
- The wire shelves and ramps may not be comfortable on the ferret’s feet.
Note: Read the instructions well while assembling or folding.
Also Read: The Best Ferret Toys
4. Living World Deluxe Ferret Habitat
This beautiful cage from Living World provides a good habitat to your ferret. The cage has a plastic bottom and has a wire top opening that gives real ease of access. The provision for food and water makes serving your ferret effortless.
The water bottle is drip-proof. Moreover, both the bottle and the hay guard are outside the cage providing more interior space and allow easy cleaning. The cage is well ventilated and comfortable for the pet.
- Brand: Living World
- Dimensions: 46.9 L x 22.8 W x 24 H inches
- Material: Plastic base, Wire cage, Wire top doors
- Color: White
- The cage includes accessories like a bowl, a hay feeder, and a water bottle
- Open top cage for easy access to the ferrets
- The color and design look good
- The cage is not easily movable
Note: Read instructions to learn the assembling and usage of the cage.
5. Kaytee Multi-Level Ferret Cage
The Kaytee Multi-level cage is quite spacious to give enough provision to your ferret to run and play. The base and shelves are made of plastic. It also includes funnels for the ferret to play in or climb through. Overall the hammocks and other accessories make it a good playing and resting habitat cage for the pet.
The cage includes casters for ease of mobility. The 2 big doors at the bottom and top, allow you to feed or access the ferret. The base, however, cannot be pulled out, it has to be detached from the cage to wash.
- Brand: Kaytee
- Dimensions: 24″ x 24″ x 41.5″
- Bar Spacing: 1″
- Material: Plastic base and shelves, Wire cage and doors
- Color: Blue
- Removable base for cleaning
- Includes ramps, hammocks, funnel and shelves
- Caster wheels to move the cage anywhere in the house
- No-pull debris base
6. Yaheetech Metal Cage for Ferrets
This ferret cage from Yaheetech is a 4-layer metal cage with ramps, shelves, and two front doors. It includes two water bottles and a food bowl. The cage comes with wheels for ease of mobility. The cage is foldable, which can be stored when not in use.
It gives a good space for the ferret to run around and play. The cage is designed to keep the pets safe, secure and comfortable. The ramps and resting shelves are made of wires, however, you can add pads to make those soft on the pet’s feet.
- Brand: Yaheetech
- Dimensions: 25 x 17 x 36.5” (LxWxH)
- Wire Spacing: 0.9 inches
- Material: Steel Wires
- Slide-out bottom tray makes cleaning easy
- Rust-free stainless steel wire
- Sturdy cage design
- Assembling is a bit tricky and the instructions to assemble are not too helpful.
Related Post: The Best Ferret Harnesses
7. MCage Medium 3 Levels Ferret Cage
The MCage Medium 3 Levels cage is nicely built, however, it is quite small for ferrets. It can be useful while traveling though. It is foldable for easy storage when not in use. The slide-out tray collects the food, water, and feces waste, which is easy to clean.
The cage includes non-chewable wire shelves and ladders, coated with an animal safe finish. Two front doors provide you easy access to the pet and food or water. It does not come with any food or water bowls.
- Brand: MCage
- Dimensions: 24″ x 16″ x 24″
- Wire Spacing: ½-Inch Wire Spacing
- Material: Chew Free Wire Cage Body
- Color: Black, Animal Safe Epoxy coated finish
- Removable wire floor
- Slide-out debris tray
- Two front doors with handles
- Foldable for easy storage or travel
- The cage is a little compact for a ferret
- Need to dry the cage after each washing, or it may develop rust
8. Go2buy Metal 3 Doors Cage for Ferrets
The Go2Buy 3 Door Cage is an extra-large ferret cage, sturdy and durable. The arced doors allow an easy serving of food and water to the pet. The door has rounded corners to avoid any hurting while bringing the ferret out.
Removable metal tray collects all the droppings that can be washed easily. The metal grid avoids the ferret from walking on his droppings. The cage has 5 shelves and 5 ramps made of wire. The 5 level cage provides ample space to the ferret to play freely.
- Brand: Go2buy
- Dimensions: 25.2 x 17.2 x 51.7’’
- Wire Spacing: 0.9″
- Material: Iron
- Color: Black, powder-coated
- Extra-large cage for ferret
- Comes with a water bottle and a food bowl
- Caster wheels for easy moving
- Arched doors with rounded corners for pet’s safety
- The pet may slip a bit on the plastic ramps
Note: Read the instructions to assemble the cage.
Read More: The Best Cat Cages
9. ZENY Ferret Cage 4 Levels
This 4-layer ferret cage from ZENY is made of powder-coated stainless steel wires. The cage can be folded for storage when not in use. Rounded corners offer safety to both you and your pet.
The cage is mediumly spacious but gives ample place to a ferret to walk or run around. Moreover, it comes with 3 shelves, 3 ramps, and a floor grid. The wheels allow you to move the cage anywhere in your house.
- Brand: ZENY
- Dimensions: 25″ x 17″ x 36.2” (LxWxH)
- Wire Spacing: 1.1″ x 7.87″
- Material: Iron
- Color: Black
- Includes water bottle and food bowl
- Arched doors for safety
- Pull-out bottom tray
- The assembly instructions are not written, they are given in the form of diagrams
10. Yaheetech Extra Large Wrought Iron Cage for Ferrets
Yaheetech’s Extra-large wrought iron cage includes 2 tier panels, 2 ladders, and 6 perches, all detachable. This cage holds a huge space for ferrets to play and run. Other accessories include a removable debris tray, grate, and a bottom storage shelf.
The main doors are sturdy and lock properly, hence, assures the safety of the pet. It also has caster wheels to move it around easily.
- Brand: Yaheetech
- Dimensions: 31.9 x 18.3 x 69’’ (WxDxH)
- Wire Spacing: 0.4″
- Material: Wrought Iron
- Color: non-toxic Hammertone painting
- Detachable accessories
- Reasonable cost
- Assembling might require some time and effort
How to Choose the Best Ferret Cage?
While purchasing a ferret cage you just need to consider a few factors like space, design, and affordability. These will give you the ease of use and assure your pet’s comfort.
Your ferret requires a lot of space to enjoy his time in the cage and feel comfortable. Even if you have a baby ferret you must consider a big cage to suit him when he grows. We recommend a minimum size of 35″ x 23″ x 27″ (wide or tall).
Design & Material
It is good to choose a design that provides a good provision of more doors, either on the front, side or top. It gives you the convenience to approach the pet and serve him food or water.
Also, look for a design with rounded corners or arcs to avoid any injuries from sharp wire edges. Moreover, if your cage includes wheels then it will be very helpful for you to move it to any room you like.
When you are selecting the cage’s material, prefer to buy one that is not chewable. A wooden cage should be avoided.
A complete metal or partially plastic can work well as these are also very easy to clean. Even the wire flooring is uneasy for ferrets to walk on, hence plastic or covered soft floors are better.
Again prefer a rust-free cage material like stainless steel or wrought iron with anti-rust coating. The bar spacing should be 1″ or less.
Price and Brand
Price and Brand ensure affordability and quality. Brands like Yaheetech, MCage, Midwest, and Prevue are few of the popular brands that make quality cages. The prices and material vary as per customers’ demands and satisfaction.
FAQs About Ferret Cages
What do Ferrets Need in Their Cage?
To keep your ferret healthy and happy you will have to provide him food, water, and means of entertainment. You should place the following things in his cage to ensure he stays playful and well.
- A food dish to serve him the required amount of food at regular intervals
- Water bottles, about 2 or more to keep the ferret properly hydrated
- Beddings over metal grilles so that he can rest on a soft surface
- Hammocks to relax or sleep in
- Hard plastic toys to keep the ferret engaged
Can I Keep My Ferret Cage Outside?
Ferrets can live both inside the house or outside depending on the weather though. Outdoors provide ferrets with natural air and light but there are hazards as well.
- Adverse Weather: Keep your ferret inside the house during extremely high or low temperatures, rainfalls, and storms.
- Direct Sunlight: Sunlight is good but in a very limited amount. Try to keep the ferret away from direct sunlight. You can, however, keep him out in the early mornings for a few minutes to provide him natural light and air.
- Risk of Theft: You can place his cage out in a yard that is properly confined and has almost no risk of theft. Moreover, keep an eye on your ferret whenever out.
- Infections: When outdoors, the ferret can come in contact with insects, parasites or other infected animals. For instance, Heartworms transferred from infected mosquito larvae can be deadly for ferrets.
Which is the Best Ferret Cage?
The Midwest Ferret Nation cage is one of the best products for ferrets. The Brand manufactures quality products and the features are remarkable.
The ramps are covered so they do not hurt the ferret’s feet. Moreover, it has dual locking doors, two shelves for resting, and provisions to add hammocks and toys. The caster wheels have a locking system for safety. Overall the cage is spacious and cozy.
Can Ferrets Live Without a Cage?
Ferrets should be kept in a cage for their safety. And the good part is that they don’t mind staying in cages. They enjoy in a big cage with ample food & water, beddings, hammocks and toys.
Ferrets spend 14-16 hours sleeping or sometimes even more, so the cage becomes a secure place for them to rest. However, you must also give them time regularly to play outside the cage.
Right Cage for a Happy Ferret
Ferrets are lovely small animals, that can be handled with the least care. Choose a cage that best suits your demands. Keep your ferret safe and happy in a cozy as well as a spacious cage. Do not forget to play with him daily, whenever you get time.