- The 15 Best Dog Bowls of 2021 (Reviews)
- 1. URPOWER No Spill Dog Bowl with Non-Skid Mat
- 2. Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog Bowl
- 3. Outward Hound Slow Feeder Dog Bowl
- 4. Ethical Stoneware Dog Dish
- 5. COMSUN Collapsible and Portable Dog Bowl
- 6. MidWest Homes for Pets Snap’y Fit Stainless Steel Food Bowl
- 7. AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
- 8. Pet Zone Adjustable Elevated Pet Feeder Raised Dog Bowl
- 9. Bergan Standard Dog Bowl
- 10. OurPets Healthy Pet Diner Elevated Feeder
- 11. GPET Stainless Steel Dog Bowls with Anti-Skid Rubber Base
- 12. Top Dog Pet Gear – Airline Approved Travel Set for Dogs
- 13. UPSKY Premium Stainless Steel Double Dog Bowl
- 14. Yosoo Stainless Steel Wall Mounted Dog Bowl
- 15. Platinum Pets Modern Double Diner Feeder Dog Bowl
- Our Buyers’ Guide on Dog Bowls
- Why do you Need a Dog Bowl for Your Pooch?
- How to Choose the Right Dog Bowl?
- Types of Dog Bowls
- FAQs About Dog Bowls
Choose from the best dog bowls that we selected by reviewing 50+ products for more than 20 hours by our experts.
If your dog was blessed with speech, he would tell you his favorite thing in the world is food. All dogs love to eat, and some dogs just love eating a bit too much. Your job as the owner is to ensure that your pup’s nutritional needs are met by providing top quality dog food. But there is the problem of finding a bowl to serve the food in.
Dog bowls come in all shapes, sizes, and colors and choosing one is largely about convenience. However, different bowls offer different benefits and it can be confusing which one to go for. This article will allow our readers a sneak peek into the world of dog bowls along with the benefits and drawbacks of each product.
The 15 Best Dog Bowls of 2021 (Reviews)
The URPOWER Stainless Steel Dog Bowl with Non-Skid Mat is the best dog bowl because it can be used to feed dogs up to 70 lbs and the set of two comes with a silicone mat to prevent them from skidding. The material of construction is stainless steel, which also adds to the popularity because it is durable, light, and convenient to clean up.
We are going to review the top ten dog bowls that we believe are the best for today’s day and age. We hope the reviews will enable you to save time because researching so many products on your own is very time-consuming. Please read each and every product carefully and select one that you believe is right for you and your canine.
1. URPOWER No Spill Dog Bowl with Non-Skid Mat
While other stainless steel dog bowls have a rubber base to prevent skidding, this one has a mat made out of silicone. The design comprises two stainless steel bowls integrated into the bone-shaped mat. The two bowls have a meaningful distance between them so that one can be used for food and the other for water.
The silicone mat has raised edges to prevent spills from reaching the floor. Its raised edge acts as a dam to limit the spillage from the canine bowls. With a capacity of 26.46 oz, the URPOWER bowls can serve any dog up to 70 lbs.
- Non-skidding and flipping
- Minimizes spillage
- Rust resistant
- Bowls are detachable
- The silicone mat is flimsy and users claim it cannot prevent spills.
2. Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog Bowl
Some pets cannot contain their enthusiasm at feeding time. They eat at such great speed, scattering kibble all over the place and splashing water on the floor as well. This feeder is for dog owners who are tired of cleaning up and yet do not want to forego the benefits of an elevated feeder.
The Neater Feeder Deluxe is made from polypropylene and has the additional feature of being an elevated feeder. The design of the feeder is such that it can contain the messiest eater and is great for pets that can get easily distracted.
The feeder comes with two removable stainless steel bowls and the base is strong and non-skidding. It is available in three sizes ranging from cats and pups to dogs that weigh 100 lbs.
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Designed to contain messy eaters
- Available in three sizes – from cats and pups to dogs weighing 100 lbs
- bowls are detachable for ease of cleaning
- legs have non-skid inserts
- Some pets may require leg extensions
- Some pets may not like the enclosed design
3. Outward Hound Slow Feeder Dog Bowl
Outward Hound is a reputed brand for pet accessories and the slow feeder is their most sought after product. The slow feeder has a sturdy base and strong rubber feet and sticks firmly to the floor without skidding. It has deep grooves and high sides to effectively reduce your pet’s eating speed as compared to other products.
The Outward Hound slow feeders come in multiple shapes and colors. Dog owners can consider buying more than one to make eating more challenging for their doggie. The small size can contain 2 cups of food while the large size can hold 4 cups.
- Available in multiple sizes and styles
- Slows down eating by 10 times
- Non-slip rubber base
- Dishwasher safe
- Not suitable for dogs with short noses
- Smarter dogs may be able to lift the whole bowl off the floor
4. Ethical Stoneware Dog Dish
Ceramic bowls can be brittle but they are aesthetically prettier than your standard dog bowls. With fun designs and varied color patterns, it becomes easier to match your dog’s dish with that of the other people in your home. This ceramic bowl has cool colors and a very polished outer surface, which makes it very easy to clean and maintain.
The bowl is heavy and difficult to knock over. It is a perfect solution to feed puppies who push the dishes around the house while eating or like to tip them over and eat off the floor. Ethical’s ceramic bowls are available in different sizes and choosing the right volume for your canine is very easy. It is also dishwasher safe and convenient to clean.
- Aesthetically more appealing
- Comes in cool color patterns
- Very easy to clean and maintain
- This heavier bowl is difficult to knock over while eating
- Ceramic bowls are very fragile and can break easily if dropped
5. COMSUN Collapsible and Portable Dog Bowl
These are especially for times when you and your doggie are on the move and you need to make arrangements to feed it. Instead of carrying your dog’s heavier bowls, you could buy a set of portable dog bowls, which are lightweight, collapsible and quick-drying.
The Comsun Collapsible dog bowls come as a set of two to cater to your dog’s need for food and water when both of you are traveling. These bowls are made from food-grade silicone that is light, collapsible and safe. Each bowl can hold up to 1.5 cups of food and can be easily cleaned after each meal.
The bowls can be folded flat so that you can store them easily when not in use. They can also be clipped to your backpack with the help of a carabiner (included in the purchase).
- Made from durable silicone
- Fully collapsible for transport and storage
- Comes in bright colors
- Carabiner included for clipping to a backpack
- Not resistant to chewing
- Could be too small for some dogs
6. MidWest Homes for Pets Snap’y Fit Stainless Steel Food Bowl
If your dog is an enthusiastic eater who pushes the bowl all over the floor while eating, then this bowl is what you should be looking at. This product comprises a stainless steel bowl fixed to a snap’y fit patented bracket to hold the bowl firmly in place while the dog eats. Its bracket system is easy to install on the side of the dog’s crate and it is also easy to take it apart for cleaning.
This bowl not only prevents spilling, but it is made from rust-free stainless steel for maximum durability and will remain free of bacteria. To clean the bowl, remove it from the bracket system and wash it in hot soapy water or you can also put it into a dishwasher.
- Comes in a range of sizes, set of two bowls can be purchased
- Dishwasher safe
- Rust resistant
- Cannot be knocked over
- Prevents food spillage
- Bowls bend forward and do not stay level due to the weight of the filled liquid
7. AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
Despite the low price, the AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl is as durable as some of the other premeium brands. It has a wide base to prevent it from getting tipped over. A rubber strip around the base prevents the bowl from sliding around when your dog eats.
Though the bowl claims to be rust-resistant, the reviews by users are mixed.
- Large capacity
- Non-skid bottom
- Wide base
- Dishwasher safe
- The reviews for the quality of stainless steel are mixed
8. Pet Zone Adjustable Elevated Pet Feeder Raised Dog Bowl
Many dogs find it difficult to eat from a bowl placed on the floor. It may cause bloating in some dogs whereas elderly arthritic dogs find it uncomfortable because it causes pain in the joints and bones. If your dog enjoys eating from elevated feeders rather than from a ground-based one, you can consider this feeder.
One of the best features of this foldable table is its ability to cater to dogs of all sizes. For a pup, the table can have the lowest level and may be raised as the dog grows. The two dog bowls made of stainless steel, set within the table, can be used for wet and dry food. The bowls are rust-free and cannot be chewed by your doggie.
When your dogs have eaten, it is possible to remove the bowls, put them inside a dishwasher and place them back in the table.
- You don’t have to choose from different sizes, the same product can be adjusted for dogs of different sizes
- Legs are collapsible, can be removed for easy storage
- The stainless steel used in bowls is of a very high quality
- Useful for arthritic dogs
- When set at the mid-range of the height, this product becomes slightly imbalanced and shaky
- As the legs of this station are not fixed in one position, you need to change their position a number of times in a day for customized usage
9. Bergan Standard Dog Bowl
This is a stainless steel dog bowl for large dogs. It can hold 17 cups of dry food easily. There is no chance of your doggie going hungry after eating from this bowl. The bowl can be used indoors as well as outdoors because it is sturdy, durable and healthy.
Being made of stainless steel, this bowl is resistant to rusting and is easy to clean. You just have to place it in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes.
- Suitable for large dogs
- Holds 17 cups of dry food
- Can be used indoors as well as outdoors
- Nothing to prevent it from skidding while your canine is eating
10. OurPets Healthy Pet Diner Elevated Feeder
Those of you who care for your pets will never allow them to feed on floor level bowls. This elevated feeder takes care that your canine companion’s food is free of filth, bugs, insects, etc.
Moreover, this elevated feeder allows your pet to eat in a more comfortable position, to overcome any issues with regards to digestion. Because of its elegant design, the feeder will fully complement your home decor. It has a spill ridge to minimize spillage and makes it easy to clean up after feeding your doggie. The stainless steel bowls are spacious and can hold sufficient food.
- Available in different sizes for different pet heights
- Stainless steel bowls are dishwasher safe
- Improves digestion
- The stand is made from plastic
11. GPET Stainless Steel Dog Bowls with Anti-Skid Rubber Base
Why do you need to spend so much money on a dog bowl when you only use it only twice in a day? And if you are going to buy it when your canine’s still a pup, he is going to outgrow it in no time and may need bowls of different sizes as he grows. This product is for those dog parents who want a safe feeding option for their canine without straining their purses too much.
Made from stainless steel for durability and easy cleaning, the GPET dog bowl comes with two capacities: 16 oz and 32 oz. The bowls come as a pair, one for food and the other for water. Apart from being resistant to rusting, the bowls have a rubber ring base to avert spillage and skidding. The bowls are easy to clean and just need to be popped into the dishwasher.
- Durable, rust-free, lightweight design
- Available in two different sizes
- A rubber ring at the base averts spillage and skidding
- May be too large for puppies and toy breeds
12. Top Dog Pet Gear – Airline Approved Travel Set for Dogs
This is an accessory to allow you to organize all your canine companion’s essentials at one central place. It is great for dogs of all sizes. It has a front magnetic sleeve pocket, a water bottle holder, a zippered side pocket, an internal zippered mesh-pocket, and a removable internal divider to hold everything in place.
The purchase includes two silicone bowls that are collapsible and dishwasher safe to allow your doggie to eat and drink anywhere. Each bowl can hold up to 8 cups of food.
The travel bag purchase also includes two food containers, each with a capacity to hold 15 cups of your doggie’s favorite foods. Both containers are insulated so as to keep your dog’s food fresh for a longer time.
- Feeding solution during travel
- Bowls are collapsible, easy to store and carry
- Food containers also included in the purchase
- Few users have complained that the silicone material for the bowls is flimsy
13. UPSKY Premium Stainless Steel Double Dog Bowl
The dog bowls are placed in a polypropylene resin base to take care of spillages. The bowls are dishwasher safe and meant to last. The feeding station raises the bowls 0.8 inches above the ground, which is a comfortable height for most dogs. The flow of food from the mouth to the tummy becomes smoother and swallowing the food gets a lot easier.
- Very easy to remove the bowls for cleaning
- Attractive design available in several colors
- Stops canines from spilling their food
- The feeder can slide around hard floors
- Some dogs do succeed in spilling food
14. Yosoo Stainless Steel Wall Mounted Dog Bowl
This one is made from high-quality stainless steel, which is easy to keep clean and hygienic.
One set has two dog bowls with different sizes. The height of the bowls can be adjusted to suit the size of your canine friend. Moreover, it is easy to install and clean. The purchase includes two stainless steel bowls and one adjustable wall-mounted stand that is easy to install.
- Bowls are fixed to the wall, will not skid when your pet is eating
- Height of the wall-mounted bowls can be adjusted
- The adjustable stand is easy to install
- Bowls permanently fixed in one position, cannot be carried from one place to another
15. Platinum Pets Modern Double Diner Feeder Dog Bowl
This wrought-iron elevated dog feeder comes in five different sizes. Thus, you can select any size ranging from a small pup to that for a Great Dane. It has a great industrial-look with an elegant design. The thin frame of the feeder may look fragile but it is made from hard material and the metal dog feeder is made from strong, durable material.
Your dogs will not find it easy to knock it over and it has feet of rubber and cannot be pushed around and damage the floor. The feeder is surprising lightweight and can easily be moved from one place to the other. However, the paint on the bowls can start coming off with time.
The dog may possibly swallow the chips, which is highly undesirable. However, chipping can be prevented by handwashing the bowls with room temperature water and using the dishwater only occasionally. Replace the bowls once you notice that the paint started to come off.
- Comes in five different sizes
- Is quite strong and meant to last long
- Design is aesthetically pleasing
- Paint on the bowls can start to wear off with time
Our Buyers’ Guide on Dog Bowls
We have discussed the products that we believe are the best available on the market as of today. However, we are following up on our product information with a buyers’ guide so that you can relate it to the reviews to make the correct decision.
This section discusses the factors used to evaluate a dog bowl, and the different categories of dog bowls. FAQs, too, have been included under the buyers’ guide to remove dispel any doubts that still persist in our readers’ minds.
Why do you Need a Dog Bowl for Your Pooch?
All dog owners know how important bowls in which you put your doggie’s food and water are. Regardless of whether your canine eats in the kitchen or anywhere else, a wide variety of bowls are available that are right for any home or for any particular dog. From stylish bowls that are made from ceramic to stainless steel bowls that are simple and easy to maintain, the range could not have been wider.
Many of us with larger breeds of dogs tend to feed them in elevated feeders. Large dogs do not have to strain their necks while eating from elevated feeders, something that makes eating from ground-level bowls difficult for them. Thus, meals get easily digested.
If you have a dog who just scarfs down his food in the blink of an eye, then you are worried that your dog may suffer from bloating or that the food may not get digested properly. In such cases, slow feeder bowls are great because they make your doggie work for his food and increase the time he takes to eat.
How to Choose the Right Dog Bowl?
Don’t take dog bowls too lightly as all are not made equally. Different dog bowls have a different set of features and some are far better than many others. The following factors need to be considered before deciding which dog bowl to buy:
Type of Material
Dog bowls are made from a variety of materials and each material has its own advantages and disadvantages.
1. Plastic: These are the cheapest and therefore most sought after. These come in various shapes, sizes, and designs because acrylic can be easily molded. However, they are not very resistant to chewing and are not scratch-proof. Bacteria and other micro-organisms can proliferate in the area that has scratches and causes infections. Also, many dogs are known to be allergic to plastic.
The Plastic material, being lightweight, is highly recommended for a portable dog bowl especially for traveling. For the regular use stainless steel and ceramic material is more preferred.
2. Stainless Steel: These are great for those who value strength and durability. They have very polished surfaces and cleaning them is so easy. Further, they are can resist chewing and rusting. These bowls make a loud and uncomfortable noise and are not very fancy in terms of design and color.
3. Ceramic: Ceramic dog bowls are akin to stainless steel bowls in terms of durability if you are able to take good care of them. They are elegant and will look more like desktop decor and are often painted in bright colors.
Ceramic bowls too can be molded into a variety of shapes. Sadly, they can break easily. Moreover, poor quality ceramic contains a high proportion of lead. Be careful to choose only premium quality ceramic material.
4. Wood: Wooden bowls are highly durable and can easily beat any other material in terms of durability. They are relatively expensive. Wooden kitchen vessels were traditionally popular due to its easy availability and moldability, however, with the discovery of newer materials, it has now been replaced and now no more a trendy material to be used to make a dog bowl.
5. Silicone: Silicone dog bowls are rising in popularity because they are exceptionally flexible and lightweight yet durable. They are somewhere between hybrid plastic and hybrid rubber and have properties of both. The silicone is certified by the FDA that it is food-grade and won’t affect the quality of your canine’s food.
Ease of Cleaning
This is an important factor that you need to bear in mind before choosing a bowl for your canine. The easiest to clean are the ones that are dishwasher safe. Some bowls, though dishwasher safe, may still require you to be very careful while cleaning and handling. Please check out the individual products for their ease of cleaning and maintenance before deciding to buy.
Besides the material they are made of, dog bowls can be also classified based on their purpose depending upon their shape, size, and structure:
1.Slow feeders: These types of dog bowls have very complex mechanisms that can range from the very simple to the very complex. The idea behind these bowls is very simple. It is to cut down the rate at which your canine buddy gulps down his food by providing access to food in a controlled manner. The feeder releases the food in small quantities.
2. Elevated Dog Bowls: Elevated dog bowls are set within a table-like platform. From the angle of a canine, it is a doggie table whose height is adjustable. These are intended for elderly canines and dogs with joints and muscle pain. Because the bowl is raised, the dog will not have to bend or stoop much in order to reach the food. This will ease the pressure joints experience while bending or stooping and make the eating experience a more comfortable one. It also helps to retain the posture and improve digestion.
3. Electronic Dog Bowls: If you have a dog with weight issues, then the best dog bowl is one that has a pre-configured electronic mechanism to dispense only measured quantities of food at scheduled times. They also help to feed your pooch even when you are not home.
4. Gravity Feeders: Gravity feeders are like automatic dog feeders except that there is no way to control the portions. Food will drop into the bowl when it reaches a certain level. These are also a good way to feed your dog in a fixed proportion, even when you are not around your pooch.
Whether you want a basic or a stylish bowl will depend entirely on your own tastes. Stainless steel bowls are the simplest whereas ceramic and wooden bowls can have varied shapes and designs. Basic type bowls can be used as feeding solutions both indoors as well as outdoors. They are cheaper too. Elegant and stylish bowls are expensive because they will also complement your home decor.
Types of Dog Bowls
Though plastic and ceramic dog bowls are the most commonly used, we will also look at a few other types. Not all categories are equal and come with a different set of features and some are very obviously better than many others.
Plastic Dog Bowls
Plastic dog bowls come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. They are cheap and do not break even if they slip out of your hand. However, plastic bowls are not recommended for regular use. Plastic bowls can be easily chewed or scratched to create spaces where bacteria can find a safe space to breed. Besides, some dogs are allergic to plastic and may show a mild skin reaction either on the face or the chin.
Ceramic Dog Bowls
Those who are looking to make a style statement can go for ceramic dog bowls. They come with fun designs and are often handmade. Their highly polished surfaces make it easy to keep them clean, especially if they are dishwasher safe. However, they can easily shatter to pieces if they fall. Even with the most careful handling, ceramic dog bowls may chip or crack and become unsafe for the canine. Smaller, less visible cracks are breeding grounds for bacteria. Keep inspecting your ceramic dog bowls regularly for signs of any damage.
Stainless Steel Bowls
Stainless Steel Dog Bowls are also the most durable and dishwasher-safe. They are sometimes designed with a non-skid rim at the bottom to avert spilling. Stainless Steel bowls do not come in fancy designs and colors. They are however practical and inexpensive dog feeding solutions that will withstand the most hostile conditions. Still one must take due care of these bowls. They can get stained or rusted if used outdoors. Dogs that like to chew may end up having their teeth damaged.
Elevated Dog Bowls
These consist of two bowls made from plastic, stainless steel, or ceramic set in a stand, which in turn is either made of wood, metal or plastic. According to experts, elevated feeders are good at preventing digestion problems. Elevated feeders also offer a more comfortable option for giant breeds. Elevated feeders should be placed close to a wall to prevent your canine from knocking it down with his paw. These feeders can be expensive but they are believed to be worth the price.
Automatic Dog Bowls
Automatic dog bowls are regular dog bowls often made from plastic and attached to a container or a reservoir. Most of them are designed so as to keep your dog’s bowl full so long as there is food in the reservoir. Many can also be programmed to dispense only a fixed quantity of food at the times you have scheduled.
Free-feeding is not recommended because it does not allow you to regulate your canine’s food intake and may lead to obesity. Programmable feeders are thus a great idea, especially if you work long hours and cannot monitor your dog’s feeding habits personally.
Travel Dog Bowls
As the name suggests, these are great accessories when you and your doggie are on the move. They are usually made out of polyester or similar fabric with a nylon or plastic lining. Some travel dog bowls are made out of more firm materials. These bowls are either collapsible or foldable when not in use and are popular because of their portability. Travel dog bowls are inexpensive and simply great when you are looking to go places with your dog.
Silicone Dog Bowls
These are collapsible bowls and many have clips so that the collapsed bowls can be attached to a bag or a belt loop. These are relatively durable though a dog can very easily destroy them.
Slow Feed Dog Bowls
Slow feed bowls are designed to slow down the dog’s speed of eating to avoid issues related to digestion. They have ridges or any other structures that will allow the dog smaller bites of food at a time. Most of these bowls are made out of plastic, though some also may be made from stainless steel.
FAQs About Dog Bowls
Almost everyone agrees that stainless steel is the best material for a dog bowl. It’s very durable (doesn’t crack or break when dropped), is relatively light and easy to carry and convenient to clean. However, avoid any stainless steel bowls that are not dishwasher safe or that claim to be for “pet use only”. Such bowls are clearly made from inferior materials.
Elevated dog bowls are good if you have an elderly dog with mobility issues. If the bowl is at a level higher than the ground reduces the strain on the dog’s neck. Elevated bowls are a great accessory for elderly dogs with bone and joint issues to make them feel more comfortable while eating.
Every dog must have two bowls depending on its size, breed and its eating habits. Please make sure that your doggie eats from a large bowl rather than a small one. To get an idea regarding the right size, consider the approximate volume of food served at each meal. Our experience suggests that the bowl should be able to contain four times the volume of food served at each meal.
The safest dog bowls are made from stainless steel. They are unbreakable, dishwasher safe and easy to clean. Stainless steel bowls will not release any toxic chemicals into your dog’s food like some others that are made from materials such as plastics, or ceramic.
If you are feeding your dog dry kibble then you may get away by wiping it once a day but if you feed them wet food, then you must clean the bowl after every meal. It’s also a good idea to sterilize the food bowl by running it through the dishwasher on high heat once every week.
Phys.org quotes “The dog water bowl has previously been identified as the third most contaminated item within the household, which suggests that they are capable of disease transmission.” So it is very important to clean the dog food bowl on a regular basis.
Analyzing dozens of dog bowls was an uphill but delightful task. We hope that you have enjoyed reading the product reviews as much as we enjoyed collecting the information and making it available to you in the form of this post. The right feeding solution may not necessarily have to be expensive. It can strike the right balance between satisfying Fido’s needs and being easy on your wallet.